14 September 2006

Of fucked-up pincards and burning trains and other signs of bad luck...

Found this great article on bbc that will make women all over the world happy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5341202.stm .

Yesterday I got lost in Woerden, trying to find the car shop where I had to take the Mercedes to get the tires fixed...
Then, I was trying to buy a train ticket to Utrecht with a bank card (which always takes about 5+ tries before it works for some reason), and after the second try, a little box appeared on the screen and I didn't read it but just pressed "yes", assuming it was giving me my ticket... Instead, the ticket machine sucked in my bank card and the screen returned to main menu. I couldn't get my card back! So, I called the number on the machine - out of order. I went to the help desk at the station - couldn't do anything about it. Finally, called Luuk and told him what happened (it's actually his card...I can't open an account here cause I'm foreign...), and he called the bank and saved the day. I just have to wait for a new card now. Ugh.
Some guy heard me talking to Luuk on the cell phone, and after I hung up he said to me, in perfect English, "So...how do you like Holland?" I laughed and told him this sort of stuff could happen to me anywhere...well, except for the getting lost thing, that happens here alot. We talked while we waited for the train (which was 15 min late because there was some train fire at the Utrecht station - gulp), and I smiled as we parted ways. People can be very friendly here, especially when they hear my horrible attempts at Dutch.
Dane might not move anymore... Happy me, but I feel bad for him - he was so excited. At least we found some nicer bars around Uithoorn that might make up for a bit of the loss...
Clarification: I see Luuk on weekends because he lives over two hours away. So, during the week, I find other people to entertain me. :)
Today, Ingrid tried to use her bankcard (which I had had to use yesterday to pay for the tires, and had no problems with or anything), and it was blocked. That generally only happens when you use the wrong pincode three times in a row, which I didn't, so it doesn't make any sense. I told Ingrid that they should stop letting me use stuff that they didn't want broken cause I seem to have a knack for that lately... I'm like a living, breathing form of bad luck.

1 comment:

Mela said...

Thanks for the postcard!
You don't always bring bad luck and break things.
Te quiero.