27 November 2006

That cat's aren't allowed in at night

It's almost 20*C outside today. This week has been full of record breaking temperatures.
Nice. 
Not so good though, in the bigger picture...
I took Jules and Raoul on a long walk. On the way we passed a house that we walk by everytime
we go on a walk. An old lady lives there and shealways waves at us from her window. 
Today she came out and offered me some coffee and Jules some milk. At first I was skeptical
(never met her, why's she offering me coffee?) but she was friendly, so we went in. There were three cats in the kitchen, sitting in front of a small stove heater. They are allowed in the kitchen, she said, but not in the rest of the house. She doesn't mind if they come in during the day, but at night they make a mess and she prefers they stay outside. She told me about her space heaters, which are strategically placed around her very small house, keeping it almost unbearably warm. She pointed out that
the heater in the old fireplace is broken because it used to look like real fire and it only heats but 
doesn't look nice. She should have someone come and fix it. It used to look like real wood burning. It was so pretty. She showed me her bedroom, also very small, and proudly pointed out that 
the space heaters keep the whole house warm, and there is one in the kitchen that uses oil, and 
the one in the living room that is in the old fire place gives warmth but is broken and doesn't look 
pretty any more. Her house is small, she said, but that is good because it is just her now. Her husband died a long time ago. He was a very good man. Her daughter lives next door though. Her daughter buys her her groceries so that she doesn't have to cross the canal in the boat. That is nice, because she is old. She's been here since she was 38 and now she is 88 years old. Her husband died a long time ago, but her daughter lives next door. She doesn't get too lonely. And some boys live close by. They used to visit, but now they go to school.
Did I want coffee? Yes, that would be nice, thank you. Oh, she is out of milk. Coffee without milk is no good - she didn't want it either. Perhaps another time. Her daughter was out buying groceries right then, she does that for her you know.
A cat walked into the room and she kicked lightly at him, telling him to go back 
to the kitchen. They are allowed in during the day, she said, but not at night because she can't watch them and make sure they don't make a mess. They like to sit in front of the heaters though, so she lets them in to warm up a bit. The cats do actually sit right in front of the heater in the kitchen, I noticed, they sit straight, chin up, belly facing the stove. I looked back at the lady, she had a huge grin on her face as she looked at Raoul, sleeping 
strapped to my chest. She touched his cheek and told me about her grandkids. They used to come around alot, but now they have school. She looked sad. She commented that his cheeks were cold. Good thing she has so many heaters, she said. They are very warm; the one in the kitchen uses oil, and the one in the living room by the fireplace used to look pretty but it's borken. She should get someone to fix it, but at least it still keeps her warm. 
Did the little boy want a cookie? Some boys live next door and and they used to come over a lot. But now they don't. They have school and friends and other things that keep them busy. It's too bad. But, her daughter lives next door. She brings her her groceries. Today she is getting more milk. Did I want coffee? No, that would be nice, but perhaps another time. Oh. Ok. 
I should go, I said. Oh, that is too bad. I should stop by some other time, because she doesn't know many people around here. She's from some other town. She just moved here and doesn't know anyone. But her daughter lives next door. Her husband used to live here, but he is dead now. He was a good man. Oh, the cat is in the living room. He likes it here, you know, because it is warm. Except, the heater in the living room is broken.
Well, thank you for the visit, I said. Perhaps I will see you again. Yes, that would be nice.
We left, and she closed the door behind us, with a huge smile on her face. I could hear her scolding the cats as we walked away.
I wish I knew her name.

12 comments:

Dane said...

um, im not sure if you meant to repeat yourself so many times or if you just wanted to write a story like your mom that gets really long or if the old lady repeated herself that much and you just wanted to emphasize that or what but. . um . . your story repeated a lot. Sounds like the old lady is quite lonely, especially if she did repeat her story five times like you blog might seem to indicate.

jack. said...

oh dane, you're so literal.

Gabriel Florit said...

That was a very cool post Amanda. Very well written. I can see her now, fretting about small things in that house, which I bet has a peculiar smell to it.

And disregard Dane's comment. He sounds bitter.

jack. said...

dane = a fork lift lifting forks.

Dane said...

screw you gabe!
I was actually wondering if her blogger got screwed up more than normal but than as i was writing I figured the lady probably just didn't have much to say but desperatly wanted the company. And the jab about Amanda being her mom was to annoy her, can't not do that(even though it doesn't really annoy her all that much)!

SaraMonet' said...

you know, my husband's grandma is that way. she's a smidge bit alzheimer-y. she repeats stories a lot and stuff. but it's kinda nice and reassuring. but i will admit. maybe sometimes just a little bit annoying. though i do always laugh that she gets so excited to hear that i'm 100% dutch... and yes, i agree with gabe... houses such as those, tend to have a peculiar smell. kinda homey kinda old. meh. just a note... got kinda long though. i'll talk to you later. :)

Amanda said...

yeah, her house smelled like burnt coffee. the carpet was the kind of dirty the happens after years of walking on it. spider webs covered every corner of the house, every lamp, and any furniture that was close enough to the wall. the furniture was like something out of a 1930's movie. and black and white pictures of really old people sat on the fire place. it was seriously like something out of a mystery novel or a movie where the main character meets some strange old lady who tells an important part of the story which leads to the solution.

Amanda said...

and for those of you who need everything explained, she talked the entire time (she never even noticed that i'm not dutch), she repeated herself alot, with slightly different details (such as living there for 50 yrs and then later just having moved there). it was as if she was living in the present and the past at the same time. i think, actually, that she has alzheimers...
so dane, you are a bastard.

Tom S said...

Hey Amanda, I am still at Dordt. Its looking highly probable I won't be next semester, though I haven't gotten much farther in the planning than that. Remember that L'abri conference we went to last year in Rochester? Henderson wants to go stay at one of those houses for a couple months. I might if I have the money, or if not, I'll probably go live with a friend in Wyoming who just got out of jail for drug charges. I don't know, guess we'll see...

Mela said...

I kind of got the feeling from reading this that I was reading a book. And I was a little disapointed that there wasn't really a solution at the end. But I enjoyed it anyway. Love you.

Justine Ann said...

absolutely love the post.

love and peace.

Mela said...

I sent them to westveensekade 16 etc... I hope that is okay?