"For what we need to know, of course, is not just
that God exists, not just that beyond the steely
brightness of the stars there is a cosmic intelligence
of some kind that keeps the whole show going, but
that there is a God right here in the thick of our
day-by-day lives who may not be writing messages about
himself in the stars but in one way or another is
trying to get messages through our blindness as we
move around down here knee-deep in the fragrant muck
and misery and marvel of the world. It is not objective
proof of God's existence that we want but the experience
of God's presence. That is the miracle we are really
after, and that is also, I think, the miracle that we
really get."
8 years ago
7 comments:
amanda you live in a beautiful place out in the country. looks like a postcard.
very nice with the pictures, too.
nice quote. i am gonna have to use that in that studygroup i am going to lead ('glad you asked').
true.
ps. I love the pictures!!
wow, that was truly something i was not expecting. very poetic though. very nice.
Excellent quote,something I've asked myself lately is "how does God meet reality at the junction of the "beyond" and the everday experience that comprises what it means to be human. Isn't this all pretty irrelevant and foolish if he does not?" Of course, thats not something we'll always be able to discern either. Sometimes I think I flirt with doubt more looking out for my own pleasure and what would be easier for me than because I'm honestly wondering "what is true?"...
Weird...those pictures, I feel like I've been there before. They are beautiful.
The quote: 'tis true. WE are after that--at least I am. But I don't know how to see it. I feel like I don't let myself "experience" God enough, although I see his existence everywhere. In fact, I don't even what what it means to 'experience' God anymore, because I over-analyze, calling every possible "God-encounter" an emotional-manipulation or coincidence or something.
i know what you mean, ann... i keep waiting for my miracle. but occasionally, just once in a while, i sense it. for instance, when i was walking one morning and found some of the scenery in those pictures... its impossible to explain how, but in those "sometimes" i experience Him. its what keeps me searching...
Post a Comment