This morning. It was time to go to school. I told Camiel to finish get his shoes while I quick went to the bathroom. Just as I was getting ready to sit on the toilet, I noticed a big black blotch on the wall, just three feet away from my face. Yep. A spider. A big black one. With a big round body. Thick legs, the kind that all are the same length 'cept the front two which are longer and look kinda like groping arms. I hate how spiders move around. They test the surrounding area by reaching a little bit with one leg, then another, then another, until they've tried with all eight legs. It's creepy. I prefer bugs that scuttle. You know, quick, smooth, non-groping.
Needless to say, my body went into panic mode. No shit scared out of this here girl - any desire to use the toilet vanished in seconds. I ran out of the bathroom still pulling my pants back up. My heart
beat way over healthy limits. Hot and cold flashes. Sweaty palms. I took a broom
back to thebathroom (I debated about using a mop...but it'd be too messy).
I took a deep breath to steady myself. No one's gonna do it for me... It's surprising how calm I can be in a situation of utter fear. I knew what I had to do, and I was just about to do it,
when Camiel walked in the room.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm gonna kill that spider."
"Why! Spiders are nice."
"I don't care. I hate spiders. I have to kill it."
"No! Spiders are nice! Mom says they are sweet. We can't kill it."
"It can't stay in here."
"I'll take it out for you."
Remember, this is a four year old.
So, he tried several different approaches, but I think despite his assertion that spiders are nice, he was a little afraid of it as well, cause he didn't ever get close enough to even touch the thing, let alone move it outside. Finally, he touched it with the broom and made it fall onto the bathtub rim. (Imagine your worst fear suddenly being in a position that it had only to crawl a few steps toward you and it'd be at your feet...then you'll have a taste of my immediate reaction at that point.) Despite my emotional instability, I managed to stay calm - or is it frozen? - and in one place. Finally, Camiel put a little contain in front of the spider and told me that he was certain it would go in the container while we were gone and that then I could take it outside and let it go without hurting it.
Right. As soon as I'm back, I'm pulling out the broom and squishing it to a million bits of groping squirming mush.
Of course, when I got back, the spider was no where to be seen. Now I am constantly doing little circles, checking the surrounding area for black blotches on walls or ceilings; everytime
I move, I imagine I feel a spider on my neck or ankles; I had to sweep
toilet sides and under and behind before I'd sit on it, and even then I
rushed out of there like most people rush in.
I shoulda just killed it when I had the chance.
8 years ago
3 comments:
eternally hopeless!
A lost Cause!
Some day, like when I like snakes, you'll like the cute little 8 legged arachnids!
cute?
are you kidding?
snakes on the other hand... smooth, elegant, beautiful.
I think I know that kind of spider and they grow about an inch a day....
Post a Comment