K. So, I tried, unsuccessfully, to post the pictures again. Not sure what the deal is. It's not the computer, cause last time I tried on a different one. I guess I am just a bit stupid with computers. Ah well. The pictures didn't really do Berlin justice, so I will leave the city to your imaginations instead of disappointing you with low-quality-cellphone-camera-shots. Plus, my face is in half of them, and we don't need to see that too much. ;)
Yesterday was sunny. Carmela, Dane, Luuk, and I took a nice long walk to some park I've never been to before in Groningen to sit in front of a pool of dirty water and soak in some desperately needed UV rays with many other like-minded and equally sun-deprived Dutch souls. I am not sure if I should be amused or worried by the fact that people rush out in hordes when ever the sun stays out for longer than 30 min. I like that people enjoy the sun so much. I fear what that desperate rush means in terms of days of sunlight in this country (or lack-thereof), and the effects on my future psychological health. I forget how much the sunlight affects my sense of contentment.
Today I put the kids down for a nap (which in itself deserves mention: Jules finished his sandwich, asked for milk, then said "Moe (tired). Slappen (sleep)," and walked to his room where he waited for me to put him to bed without complaint!), then I took a book (which also deserves mention...I'll elaborate later to prevent this from becoming a terribly confusing sentence), pulled out a lawn chair, sat down, and promptly fell asleep with the sun shining on my face. My cheeks are now slightly pink. I feel pleased and lazy as one of the chubby cats that wander around the yard. And I think if all days were like this, I could possibly enjoy my current state of affairs instead of grudgingly tolerate them.
Which brings me to this book... My mom told me a long time ago she thought I should read it. And then Luuk did just recently (unaware of my mom's comment). So, amused at this, I reluctantly accepted the book from Luuk. "The 7 Habits of Highly Affective People". I know. It's a self-help book. Which normally I hate. But perhaps I am allowing myself to be more open-minded. Or maybe my standards have dropped a bit. Ormaybe it's actually really not be that bad. In any case, I am not hating it as much as I expected and will admit to occasionally
enjoying it.
Mostly, it's one of those books that has basic good sense advice that you nod your head to and say "Of course, that's obvious", but would never have really considered unless someone pointed it out to you on paper.
Maybe it's cause I feel so lost sometimes that I'm even taking this book seriously. I dunno. I'm struggling.
Momentarily, I am considering: what point-of view do I see my life from at the moment and could it be better? Before you scoff, understand this: I have been looking at this year as a transition year; my job as just a means to an end (somewhere to live, a house, food, bit of a spending cash, that's it); this whole situation as something to be tolerated until next year when things will inevitably get better. And, generally, that's what it's been.
But, what if I looked at it differently?
Mom keeps telling me that God was involved; that I am with this family for a reason; that there is some meaning to life, my life, right now... This might sound like a really silly discussion. I dunno. But at the moment it's not, to me.
But now I am going to get some more sunlight. I'm trying to store up for then next couple of weeks until the next time he decides to come out.
Cheers.
8 years ago
5 comments:
i found out that sunlight, while it does the body gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is really bad for the wallet!
Spent way too much today
Gitaar, found a bag that I liked more than the others I saw, some socks (colored, aren't you proud luuk), and almost a whole lot more (de straat markt is a really dangerous place).
the sun is leuk!! I biked home with no jacket on today! The park was mooi! (?) I miss yolanda. Aveces me preocupa un poco.
porque? hmm. debemos hablar sobre esto...
so proud, Dane. chapeau!
amanda I don't understand what these twits are all on about....
I have always found you were quite successful at being a people.
Post a Comment