21 March 2007

Crashing into boats

Normally, the wind comes from one direction everyday. Sometimes it blows really hard, sometimes not. I generally don't even notice the wind anymore, except on really really windy days. I've gotten so used to rowing that I have learned to automatically compensate for the extra one-sided force by rowing harder against it.
Today, the wind came from the opposite direction. And I didn't know what to do with myself. 
I scrambled around in the middle of the canal, drifting in the completely wrong direction while I
fought the automatic urge to row in the same direction as usual. I ended up rushing at a surprising
speed toward the other docked boats.
Beautiful.
It's a good thing these boats are made of some sort of metal.

6 comments:

Gabriel Florit said...

what a delightful story.

Dane said...

I thought it was a river, not a canal?

rrhccnql

And yes, I'm just randomly typing the word verifications until I get bored with doing it!

Amanda said...

I sometimes wonder, Gabe, if I should take you seriously and accept the compliment, or assume you are simply blowing smoke up my ass. :)

Mela said...

there's a nice mental picture... where do people come up with these sayings anyway?

Gabriel Florit said...

amanda. i would never blow smoke up your ass. and i do mean it. in not too many words you painted a picture. when i read your story i could really see you struggling in the wind! so yep, i meant it.

Amanda said...

haha!
well, in that case, thanks, gabriel. :)