I found out that the Dutch word "fokken" means "to breed". So, someone who breeds animals would be called a "fokker". Last night I had to hold back any display of amusement while listening to Luuk's grandmother talk about her cousin, (who happens to share my last name and she thinks might be related to my family, and should definately check on) who is a breeder. Every time she talked about him it started with, "My cousin, Meneer van der Ploeg, the fokker."
I am now very curious about her cousin, the fokker.
Yesterday, to satisfy the curiousity of Luuk's parents (who seemed to be more worried about it than I), we met my aupair family. They seem to be everything I expected - easy going, super nice, relaxed, laidback, good to chat with, etc. Their kids are adorable, all really blonde boys. And their house is cute. It used to be a farmhouse, I think. In the past seven years they've done alot of fixing up, so outside it still looks old and quaint, but the inside it colourful and very modern. Their bathroom is incredible! I can't wait to use the shower! The best part of the whole deal, however, is getting to the house itself. They live on the otherside of a canal. The only way to the house is on a footpath over a small bridge down the road, or on either a rowboat or motorized raft.
Yes.
Everyday, I have to take three little kids across the canal in a little boat to get to the car to take the oldest to school. Crazy.
Oh, another note on the house...It's out in the country, surrounded by pastures, canals, and cows (beautiful), and they have a nice garden behind the house. All along the paths and in the grass are the biggest snails I've ever seen. And, between almost every single bush and tree, gigantic spiderwebs full of incredibly disgusting spiders.
Fuck.
8 years ago
12 comments:
Great glad to see you made it.
Things are good here, the house is clean, with one exception- we've shut the door to your room and pretend it doesn't exist. It scares me.
HAHAHA, oh yeah- you owe me $50 for July's utilities you crafty female. Mail me $50 or the pig gets it. You know which one I mean.
Enjoy the Netherlands, I'm ever so jealous. My only comfort is leaving this state this year. Also, Kendra and I want to make a trip to Europe one day, so who knows.
spiders. hehe. I saw one run out from under a dresser in my room today when I moved it. (the dresser, not the room. in case you were wondering.)
Someday you'll probably be a fokker too. But we all probably will be. We're all just a bunch of future fokkers.
things sound lovely. glad you are well.
I used to have a great uncle named fok.
Get the fokker out of here!
that's what i would say if there was a breeder in my mydst (that word that means general area or vicinity... holy crap i suck)
I'm glad you like your new home. will you ice skate across the canal in the winter to get to your car?
can you swim in the canal? cause that would be the coolest thing ever
yeah, we can swim there! as for skating, its been a while since its been cold enough in holland for the canals to freeze over... so i don't know if i could even make an attempt at my horrible skating skills... :(
Amanda, it 'WHORE,' not hore!
Amanda, I just moved into your room. It is pretty boring, but I'll shnazz it up.
nice...
actually...that just seems so weird.
Post a Comment