18 August 2006

Bittersweet

Goodbyes are over. The flight was long. I cried for five seconds on the way to the airport, then distracted myself with the business of traveling. Dane and I got a massage at the airport in Chicago, to pass time. It was amazing. American Airlines has ridiculously small seats, which makes an 8hr flight seems twice as long. I started to feel sad again at some point on that flight, and cried again. Dane was nice enough to pretend not to notice. I looked out the window and watched the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen. There was no land to be seen, only sky, clouds, and water. The clouds changed from purple to red to gold...each phase just as wonderful as the last...I just wanted to jump out of the plane and float around in them. Now I am in Holland. Luuk's family is trying very hard to make me feel welcome and part of the family, a gesture that is greatly appreciated. Seeing Luuk again was somewhat strange, actually, but very good. I think the idea that this time it's not just a visit is affecting the way I see things here. Hugs are amazingly comforting. And I'm getting enough hugs to make up for the past 8 months... It's good to be here. I can't wait till it feels like home...

4 comments:

Tom S said...

Hey Amanda, it's good to hear you made it alright. It's different without you and Dane around. The House of General Debauchery is oddly quiet and lonely these days. I kinda wish I stopped by to hang out more often this past summer, but not much can be done about that now. I also realize the opportunity to follow up on some prior discussions never arose, I'll try and shoot you an e-mail on that when I've got the time. Take care...

Justine Ann said...

i miss you. But I'm so glad you're making it and enduring it all. You are a trooper and a very, very respectable woman in my eyes (if I havn't told you this before).... stay strong and call me sometime.

i love you.

Mela said...

glad you made it! say hi to luuk for me, as always. :) nos vemos.

Kunnari said...

hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. "the house" is a mess...glad you made it out while you could