16 January 2007

"Repeat to yourself, 'I am super nanny, I am super nanny...' and you'll survive."

Carmela is coming today! She will be here in four (probably five) hours. Sweet! I'm excited! It's gonna be great to see her again! And fun to show her around. Weird to be showing someone else around here...I'm used to being the tourist...but I guess I've been here long enough.
I'm a bit nervous about going to the airport - I have to take the two youngest with me. Walking around in Schiphol with a 5month old baby and a 2year old boy is not exactly my idea of fun. And the baby is getting a second tooth already, and is super crabby. Jules is pretty happy though, and very excited about going to see the airplanes! So it might turn out to be fun anyway.
It's amazing how much nicer a room can look when you stuff everything into all available boxes and corners. :)
On a different note...Dane and I had a conversation last night about the US in the world. I mentioned that I wished, in a weird way, that the US would experience a war on their own soil. Not that this is a good thing...but it just seems that it's so much easier now for America to go to war because its always on the other side of the world and really means nothing to them. Even us who do not wish for war cannot possibly know what it is like and therefore do not actually care as much as, say someone from Iraq or Somolia, about the prospect of war. People here still remember the suffering of WWII. Luuk's grandmother lost family members, shot by the Germans. Many older people can telling you chilling and sad stories from those days. As a result, Europeans seem more hesitant to support war (though, I can't say the US seems all to supportive at the moment). They seem even less hesitant to joke about war. It has been a long time since the US has had war on it's own soil. America has forgotten what that sort of pain feels like. Like a child that bites because it no longer knows what a bite feels like, perhaps a nation, or at least a government, should be reminded of what the pain they are inflicting would feel like on their own flesh.
But perhaps I am speaking of something about which I also know little.

"The Little Mermaid" is done, and now the menu music is repeating itself over and over. Time to put Jules down for a nap.

Enjoy the snow, all you folks in the midwest.
I'm jealous.

2 comments:

Gabriel Florit said...

the snow goes past the treeline up here. sometimes i'll be skiing and i can see a little bit of a tree poking out.

Amanda said...

you bastard.