25 January 2007

About a 4yr old.

Ok, Camiel. Before we go in to the school, we're gonna make a deal. What are you gonna do when I leave?
"Umm...I'm gonna fart!" (He smiles, pleased with his great idea.)
Alright. But, what else?
"Umm...a really big fart!"
Right. Well, how bout you give me a kiss and I give you a reallly big hug (dikke knuffel...I like that term), and then you sit on your chair, and I leave.
"Ok. And then a fart!"
You can fart as long as you want. But, are you gonna hang on my leg like yesterday?
"No!"
Are you gonna cry and whine and follow me to the door?
"No!"
Good. Now, I'll race you to the school!


Haha! I beat you!
"Nuh-uh. I always win."
But I got there first!
"So. I still win!"
Hmm. Convenient. Alright, lets hang up your coat.
"Catch me if you can!" (He runs and hides, behind a small palm-like tree.)
Gotcha. Ok, coat.
"I'm getting away!"
Gotcha again. Coat.
"You can't get me!"
(I pick him up and drop him in front of his coat rack.) Coat. Now.
"You can't get me!"
(Ok. I just pull off his coat as he runs away and hang it up for him. Then I walk to the classroom. He's hiding behind the tree again. I ignore him. He follows me into the classroom.)
Alright, where's your chair? (Someone just grabbed my ass! Oh...it's him.) Right. Oooh! I see your chair! Race ya to it!
(Mad shuffle between big grown ups and 2ft tall kids ensues. He latches onto my pant pockets. Fine. I'll drag him. Walk to the chair, turn around, and sit on him.)
"mmph, you ffftoo heaffy!"
Oh, sorry. Didn't see you. (Hehe, smile to myself.) (I sit next to him for a few minutes.)
"I'm gonna fart!"
Oh yeah? Well, I'll tickle you!
"giggle giggle giggle!!!"

Ok Camiel, it's time for me to go. Can I get a hug? (I squeese him really tight, till he's giggling again.)
"Another one!"
Ok (Hug.)
"giggle giggle. Another one!"
Alright, last one.
"giggle giggle fart."
Ok, kiss. On your chair. See you later!
"Wait!" (His face changes in a matter of seconds from big smiles to an enormous pout.)
Yes?
"I want you to stay here."
I can't. I'm too old. The chairs are too small for me. (Small smile sneaks out. He hides it again.)
"But I want you to stay!"
I can't. I'll see you in a few hours! Then we can play again.
(I get up to leave. It's amazing how fast he manages to latch himself to my leg.)
Camiel. Remember our deal? What are you gonna do after we hug and I have to leave?
"Fart!!!" (Still attached.)
What else?
"A really stinky fart!"
Right. But you are also gonna sit on your chair and say goodbye, right?
"No! I want you to stay!"
(God, I really don't need you to test my patience right now. I unwrap his arms, walk him to his chair. He latches immediately. Try again. Unwrap, walk. Re-latch. Once again. Unwrap. Drag. Pops up like a bouncy ball, attaches again, at amazing speed He's like that kid in the Incredibles. Uwrap, pick up, drag, dump on chair. Squat in front of him.)
Camiel, you have to keep your end of the deal, otherwise I can't trust you.
"I'm gonna fart on your eye! giggle."
Camiel, you have to stay here, ok. I'll see you later.
"Ok!" (With a big smile, he reattaches. Aaagh! What do I do? I frantically search for the teacher. She's talking.)
Ok, on your chair buddy. (Try to stay perky...) I'll see you later today, ok! Have fun! (I practically run to the door. Right at the doorway, I feel something pulling on my pants pockets. I was so close!)
Camiel! That's enough. Go to your chair! (Shit. I lost it. Again.)
"But I want you to stay!" (Ahhh...the teacher sees us. Without a word she pulls him off of my leg, and drags him to his chair. I wave at Camiel and walk quickly to the car. It's time for some Hendrix. I notice that it's actually quite light out this morning. The sky is pink. The drive home is beautiful and relaxing. I make myself some coffee right away. Sigh. That wasn't too bad.)

5 comments:

Gabriel Florit said...

AMANDA! these stories are a lot of fun. fabulous writing. it's like a new you. absolutely love it.

Dane said...

oh for being young and being gassy

Jeffy said...

yes, yes

very nice

I'm trying to imagine "perky" in that situation

Kunnari said...

fart! ha! that's amusing

Justine Ann said...

he must love you so much. Very fun to read about. :)