26 April 2011

What happened after the interview.

I got a job.

No one was more surprised than myself. The interview that I was fully convinced that I had bombed apparently was more favorably perceived by my interviewers.

They didn't hire me though.

They said I'd make a nice addition to the team and I seemed very enthusiastic and prepared (ha!), but that I didn't have enough experience and they didn't want to train me.

Fair enough, I responded, I have little to no experience, and I'd like to change that, so what do you think of an unpaid internship in which I follow people around and do their annoying little tasks and try to learn by observation and then we talk again in 4 months?

So, we met again to talk about the possibility of doing an unpaid internship for 3-4 months. They started by explaining that the real reason they didn't hire me was cause they didn't think the job was something I'd like, given my extensive experience taking care of people. This job doesn't involve taking care of people. But, they were impressed with my apparent very strong interest in working for them. Four months was too short, they said, so they offered me a six month contract.

Umm, a contract for a six month internship?

No. A job. With a salary. And after six months, we'll talk possible extension. And raise. Interested?

I have no idea how I maintained my composure, but I did. And I accepted the job. I waited till I got in the car, drove halfway home, called Luuk, told him the story, and then burst into tears.

I start Monday.

5 comments:

jack. said...

way to go!!

Carolyn said...

HOORAY!!!!!! So happy for you! What a roller coaster!

Kunnari said...

that is exciting! congrats! finally...

ann.renee. said...

Er. I'm a little late here, but congrats!

Dena said...

I'm also late, but still: congratulations!