I'm never going to get a job. Some people were granted the natural gift of interviewing - I was not. It's even worse than public speaking. My face gets warm, most likely red too, but I can't see it so I wouldn't know. My hands sweat, making the introductory handshake somewhat uncomfortable; not a good start. We sit down, I try to find a comfortable yet professional looking position, and end up sitting with my back straight and stiff, arms on the table in front of me in an attempt to look relaxed until I realize that I am nervously picking at the pages of the notebook I brought along to write notes in that will inevitably go home blank. I try to concentrate on what the Human Resources girl is saying but get distracted by my racing thoughts: "Stop fidgiting! Look natural! Focus! You're clicking the pen, put it down! Shit, what'd she just ask?" What kind of work do I see myself doing here?
Blank stare. I practiced answering this question. I wrote it down so I would know what to say when it came up. I know what I want. Suddenly it sounds so silly in my head, compared to the work described at this company. Maybe I should say something else. No, it's not an exam, just tell her what you hope to do here. Not so hard. Why am I fumbling over my words? Did I just stutter??? My answer is full of 'um's' and hesitation. I hear myself speaking and can't believe how unprepared and stupid I just sounded. I try to fix it. I realize I'm rambling. I answer more questions, ask some of my own, throw in some friendly chitchat. At least I have managed to refrain from giggling. Fuck, I couldn't giggle if I wanted to. I have resorted to fake-laughing to the manager's jokes by this point.
"Alright, well thank you for coming. We'll think about this for a bit, you think about it, and we'll call you on Monday, ok?"
Maybe it wasn't as bad as I think it was. Maybe it's like my public speaking experiences; I hate every minute of it and am usually convinced it was a total failure and find out later that I did just great. Maybe it's like that. On Monday they'll call and tell me how impressed they were and could I please, please come work for them.
Maybe not.
5 comments:
Yikes. I hope it wasn't as bad as all that.
it is past monday, any word?
maybe next interview you shouldn't be sober at it, eh?
ha! great advice Kunnari!
had a brief chat with HR girl today, apparently they really liked me and thought the interview went great (so...umm, yeah, gotta work on my security issues, I guess...), but still not sure I'm what they are looking for...so, still not sure what's going to happen with this one.
waiting....
Fingers Crossed! (And I'm sure you're not as bad as you think...we're our own worst critic, for SHIZ!)
turns out, it wasn't. they offered me a job. after first turning me down, then me suggesting an unpaid internship and then us meeting a second time. but they said they liked me the first time, just weren't so sure about my experience. ha.
Post a Comment