What do you make of this paragraph?:
"A mindful outlook recognizes that we are all deviant from the majority with respect to some of our attributes, and also that each attribute or skill lies on a continuum. Such an awareness leads to more categorizing and consequently fewer global stereotypes, [that is] increasing discrimination can reduce prejudice." (Langer, E.J., 1989, Mindfulness).
Mindfulness is, in short, acting in a manner that is not automatic or unquestioning. Meeting someone using a mindful approach would mean paying attention to details that you would normally take for granted upon first meet (which usually we end up doing eventually the better we get to know someone), to discriminate this person from the global category that they would otherwise fit into if you met them in the usual, automatic way.
One reason that we carry prejudices is because we categorize to deal with the world. When we meet a new person we pick up the details that are most salient and use those to define the person we meet and categorize. We mindlessly accept these details as defining the person until they do or say something to make us think twice about our definition. When I first meet someone, he/she fits in a category: black, white, Mexican, American, Dutch, nerd, jock, friendly, unfriendly, asshole, bitch, saint.... The more I get to know someone, the more I discriminate him/her from any category or group in particular and the more he/she simply becomes John or Jane, with all quirks, strengths, tendencies, characteristics that define this particular person.
All our efforts to reduce discrimination and therefore reducing prejudices and racism has, in fact, only contributed to the problem. In an attempt to not-discriminate, to treat one person as exactly the same as the next, I impossibly attempt to deny this natural tendency to categorize, and I do not allow myself to re-categorize based on that individual, instead holding them in the global category into which they originally fit. To discriminate, in this sense anyway, is to reduce prejudice.
8 years ago
1 comment:
Man, I was wondering what all that house talk was in the family email... which was the one you wanted? (I have forgotten of course...) I'm so out of the loop. Hey, I got a mic. Should we make a skype date?
Post a Comment