06 June 2007

good morning bonita!

I am back to work again, after a nice string of long weekends and whole weeks off. Any time Camiel has vacation, I get vacation too. As I told Ann...if I'd started working here in January or February instead of in August, the first few months here might have been alot easier to adjust to!
My search for a wedding dress that's cheap-yet-nice (which means: doesn't look like a gigantic white bag hanging off of my neck) has turned into a quest for cheap-yet-perfect (that is: fits me, flatters my physical shape and ego, inspires awe in all wedding guests, 
and is completely original). 
K. Well, the original part is gonna have to go, cause I'll be buying second-hand, most likely. I'm still working on the rest. In the meantime, it's become an obsession. The center of my tiny little universe. Let's hope I find one soon.
Next obsession on the list: apartment searching!

I'm reminded of one difference in culture between the US and Holland, every time I mention that I'm getting married. Most people react to the idea of someone my age tying myself down to someone else before I've had a chance to check it out first (in Dutch: live together) as if it were completely foreign. Ok, well, really it is. At least, it's not a Dutch thing...
Today I had to get a piece of paper from the town hall (or whatever it's called) that says "I am in Holland legally and no, am not married," for the purpose of applying for a marriage license. When I asked for the paper, the woman at the desk looked up in surprise. No. Shock. I coulda been a 10 yr old kid telling her I had ten pounds of coke stuffed up my butt and I woulda got the same reaction.
Really. Why? Dunno. Seriously folks...I'm not that young! Aaagh. 
Though, I've been mistaken several times for a highschool junior. (What the hell?). This is only good if the trend continues and people think I'm 30 when I'm really 50 or something...

Anywho...it's coffee time.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Tom S said...

Amanda, good to hear from you, its been awhile. When are you getting married? How have things been? Shoot me an e-mail sometime when you're not so busy...

Mela said...

Ya, its weird that its so weird to get married "so young" there. Hey, I get out of school at the latest by the 20th of Dec. Is that early enough? (just checking, pero si no, entiendo!) Y me di cuenta de que escribiste lo mismo en facebook que aqui. Cheater. :) I miss you.

Margaret said...

Today some of my grade nine girls told me that when I get married I'm going to get old and wrinkly. So maybe you're not wrinkly enough yet? He he. Hope you find the perfect dress soon.