14 June 2006

Most used phrase of Vanderploeg family: "Well, it coulda been worse..."

So, my dad is in the hospital today. (For those of you not keeping track, my family, mostly my dad, has had some sort of accident or catastrophe pretty much every month of this year...) He smashed his finger somehow while mowing a lawn and doing yardwork. My sister took him to the hospital and said it looks like an overcooked hotdog that split open.
Nice.
The bone is fine, but he lost some skin so will need some grafting.
Best part of the whole deal: It's his middle finger. Once it's wrapped, his hand will be in permanent "birdie" position for a couple weeks.
(To really understand the humor of this you have to picture him, a pastor, giving a sermon at some conservative reformed church in this condition... Yes. It's funny.)
Mom joked that she should tie him to a rocking chair and stick him in a corner to avoid further accidents... However, she figures he'd probably manage to tip the chair over and smash his head.
What a family.

2 comments:

me said...

he he...

Dena said...

About Carolyn's comment on your last post:
Ummmm.... I'm trying not to embarass you too much here Carolyn, but Amanda's talking about soccer (the World Cup), and the Stanley Cup is hockey. Just thought you might want to know. Oh, and because we're friends, you SHOULD know that my team is in the Stanley Cup finals (the Oilers). And, well, neither Iran nor Mexico plays hockey, as far as I know (which makes complete sense). OK, that's it . . . (I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be embarassed anyways, but I thought I'd let you know all of this just in case) :)