This new post comes as I start a new phase in life. This because two major changes have taken place (or, well, one is in the process of taking place): 1) I got a new job; 2) a week after signing the contract, I was surprised to find out I'm pregnant. This next year will be an eventful one, interesting to say the least. I think I have finally felt the urge to write here again because I feel like I actually have something to write about, which I didn't while I was at my old job, wasting away behind a computer doing things I really couldn't care less about to make money for a company that I didn't believe in... I think these changes bring much more to my life than a new work place and a growing waistline.
I've started my new job, my first day consisting mainly of following like a lost puppy the girl who will be acting as my mentor for the next few months. She is a day younger than me, we figured out, and years ahead of me in experience at the job. This job is so totally different in every way from my previous job that I get excited and just a little bit shit-scared (yes, shit-scared) at the same time every time I think about it. My new job is at an old folks home, specifically with patients with advanced dementia. The work philosophy is 'give our clients as pleasant and fulfilling a life as possible while they are with us'; there is nothing commercial about this place. The manager of the region told us he would be the first manager to tell us to slow down, take time to be with the clients, and leave the paperwork for later. I can live with that approach. My new boss is very involved in the work of all the employees under his management; he welcomed me with flowers and checked in a couple times during the first day to see how I was doing. Most of my colleagues are women and I will work directly with several teams from different sections of the organization (as opposed to me being the only woman in a team of 8 who I worked with daily). I will actually be applying my education as a psychologist - in a field that I did not specifically study for, elderly care and dementia treatment. Eventually, I will take over the work of my mentor at three locations, which will involve everything from intake-interviews with clients, communication with families, training/classes on psych topics for nurses and 'verzorgenden' (which is a specific kind of job for the non-medical care-givers; who are, by the way, all women with very strong...personalities). Essentially at the moment, I have been given the space and time to get used to the new job and learn the ropes before I take it on myself; I will be working closely with my mentor until we both feel that I can do it on my own.
I looked for a job like this for so long! I am, of course, incredibly impatient to prove that they hired the right person and wish I could do everything, perfectly, immediately. And at the same time I am overwhelmed by how much I so obviously need to learn yet before I can be any good at the job I am expected to do. I want so badly to touch the lives of each patient I work with, to be part of giving them a good and happy life while they are with us; the idea that I could have any sort of influence on their lives is intimidating. Hence the shit-scared part. Also, it doesn't help that as I start this new job, I have to find a moment to tell my new boss that he just hired a pregnant lady who will be needing 4 months off work starting January, probably just about the time she would be getting the hang of things and able to lessen the load for her mentor as intended.
Ah, but it's good. Let it be. This glitch cannot dampen my happiness at the though that there grows inside me (inside me!!!) a whole new little life. Amazing.
So, welcome, new phase. I have been waiting!
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment