The minute the pee-stick shows two stripes, your life changes. No, I'm not referring to the wonderful realization that you'll be starting a family. I'm referring to being able to do and eat all the things you are used to doing and eating. I'm only three months in and the deluge of warnings and advice are beginning to frustrate.
The list of foods, activities, and things to avoid is long. Somethings I'm ok with taking off my menu, like liver, heart, brain and other organs (ew), raw chicken and sausage.. . For some things the advice seems common sense: don't go horseback riding, skip white-water rafting or deep sea diving and stay off of roller-coasters. And with a whole lot of things I am willing to believe that there must be a good reason for including them on the list of what to avoid: moldy cheeses, raw fish or meat, hot tubs, unpasteurized dairy products, x-rays, drugs and certain medicine, smoking, alcohol, and lifting heavy objects.
And then I go out for dinner and find that I technically cannot eat half of what is on the menu.
So, how careful should I be? There must be a nice balance somewhere between being recklessness and (unnecessary) paranoia...
First of all, who do I listen to? Should I always take my steak well-done till all the delicious juicy flavour is cooked out of it, as most sources say, or can I follow the NHS who says that it's ok to eat whole cuts of beef or lamb rare? What about sushi - does Japan have a higher rate of miscarriages that I don't know about? Do I avoid all alcohol at all costs (like my friend who spit out the sip
she had just taken cause she thought it was champagne),
or do I take seriously the studies that show that not only is small
amounts of alcohol ok but also claim that children born of mothers who
drank small amounts while pregnant are less likely to develop anxiety
disorders or be stressed?
Do I really have to avoid raw vegetables and fruit at restaurants cause they might not be washed properly? How am I supposed to do groceries if I can't carry the bags home? Must I avoid that cookie-dough ice-cream because the cookie-dough might contain raw eggs? And what about unpasteurized hard cheese that "contain less water where listeria is less likely to multiply", and are therefore deemed ok? At what point is the likelihood an acceptable number? I mean, how likely is it, really, that I'll get salmonella from a raw egg? And who ever gave the advice to clean the litter-box out every day obviously never had to pay for kitty litter...
I'm starting to feel like I should be covered from head to toe in armour and stick to cereal for the next six months.
8 years ago
2 comments:
EAT BEEF!!! (medium done)
bacon, always crispy.
Fish concern is mercury right? so nothing from China I'm guessing :0
Becca drank wine and they have the most docile baby on earth. Sleeps all the time, smiles a lot, and doesn't seem to be impaired by the expirience.
No cookie dough! How dare they. And they have eggless cookie dough FYI so INDULGE!!!!!!
I eat carrots right out of the garden; what's up with this washing bussiness. A little dirt is good for ya! Iron or something . . .
I would just like to point out that babies have been born for thousands of years before over zealous Government Health Services stuck their noses into it! ! !
And I'd worry more about your financier husband who can't keep track of his own bank account and spends too much on sporting events (Really Luuk? it's no wonder the banks are in trouble over there!)
The only salmonella I've had was from under cooked chicken. So cook your chicken. But that's advice for everyone, not just the prego people out there ;)
Yeah, phone call, soon. Free weekend I think. . . unless. . . well, tell ya in a phone call :)
haha who knew dane had such amazing pregnancy advice?! :) well done.
Also- congrats on all of the new stuff! man, it was fun to catch up on your life a bit.
kind of a bummer I didn't fly through your neck of the woods again this time- I went the other way, through China. :( should have came your way though....
Post a Comment