A man in the building I am currently working in every day looks like Dilbert. I say hi to him whenever we pass in the hallway. He barely looks up when he mutters a hello in response, walking a way in a very busy, important sort of way. He makes me smile.
Today I am sitting in the office that faces the inner 'court yard' of the office building. We are on the 6th floor, so all I see is brick wall and windows and the glass elevator on the other side. I can look into other people's offices though, which proves entertaining occasionally. Usually the entertainment amounts to watching people pick their noses, however, which isn't a particularly pleasant way to pass time between reading accident reports. Ah well.
Some days I wonder if this could possibly be what anyone was created to do: taking the over-crowded train (in lieu of braving the crawling traffic and 3x the amount of travel time) to get to the office to spend the whole day sitting behind a computer screen drinking tea and snacking on things that will inevitably make one gain a few kilos no matter how healthy, only to rush back to the over-crowded train (or sit in slow traffic for more than an hour, either singing loudly or swearing more loudly) and make it home in time to make supper and crash on the couch, too mentally drained to be motivated to do anything other than watch South Park or Law and Order reruns all night.
Egh. It's not that bad. I'm getting used to it. And finding ways to avoid the demotivated slump to attempt to actually do something with the little free time I have over. Actually, I rarely spend an evening watching tv. It's a lucky week if Luuk and I have dinner together more than one evening. And once I decided to like my job and make the best of it, things actually got alot better. Or well, actually, nothing changed, 'cept I don't mind it as much. Which is less brain-draining.
Still not sure this is what I, or anyone else for that matter, was created to spend my precious hours doing, but till I figure that out, I will enjoy it any way I can.
Thank you Dilbert and nose-pickers. You make my day.
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment