23 August 2010

to Canada and back

after 14some hrs of travel and 8hrs time difference, we got back last night from a two week trip to Alberta. both of us were exhausted but I think I was more so than Luuk. partly cause he sleeps better on airplanes (I tend to doze and then wake up every time I feel my jaw muscles relax, which is immediately five minutes after finally falling asleep), and partly because of the emotional rollercoaster I feel I've been on the last few days. the family reunion was the most fun I've had in a while. everyone, aunts uncles cousins grandpa, was there, with the exception of two.
a historic event, mind you, as the last time that happened was...ten years ago at least. and memorable for so many good reasons. I was reminded of what a wonderful family we have. reconnecting was so effortless; not a moment of awkwardness, no tension, not even boredom. simply good. if only we could all move to the same place and extend those two weeks into years of happy familial co-existance. leaving was harder this time than it has ever been before.
and then there were other things, really shitty things that have happened to loved ones. things I won't share cause they aren't mine, but things that I am having a hard time processing because some of these things you could never see coming and some only happen in bad drama's. my heart breaks for them. I wish so badly I could be there to...do who knows what, but be there and not here on the other side of the world.
but some shit has a way of bringing out the good in some people. and these I admire. I can only hope to grow into someone like that, like my Grandpa for instance who takes the shit and forgives the person who threw it at him and then thanks God because it brought him closer to Him.

and now life goes back to normal. sort of.

I'm so tired now. Jet-legged. Flu-ish. And exhausted from other people's pain. I guess that's family though.

No comments: