09 February 2010

Curious what y'all think of this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8500285.stm

3 comments:

Tom S said...

Should drug addicts be paid to be sterilized? My initial knee-jerk was no, that's horrible. But drug abuse during pregnancy can horrifically amplify the quotient of misery in a child's life. At the same time, I've known a few so called crack babies, and while damaged mentally and physically, they seem able to lead happy existences. It also seems a few inches too cynical for me to assume that a drug user today, will still be a drug user one year, five years, ten years from now. So its seems a little cruel, and too final, to dim the lights forever on a persons ability to have children.

I guess I'm ok with this program as its voluntary, not enforced by law, or something everyone is expected to and has to do. If it were mandatory, I'd have serious qualms about it.

Andrea said...

I understand Ms. Harris's desire to protect children from being affected by drugs. I agree with the injustice of children being adversely affected so completely by decisions they're not making. I don't see this program as being a solution. It's not treating what's really wrong. I would agree with Tom that as long as this program is voluntary, I'm ok with it. I guess it still worries me that women making the decision to be sterilized are on drugs when they make that decision. They may be living with regrets for a long time.

Amanda said...

Hmm. I think we agree somewhat in position. It's preferable above what otherwise might (and often does happen), many children born with problems that they have no choice or control in, uncared for or less well cared for than 'regular' kids, less desirable for adoption, lifelong difficulties, extra burden and cost to society, etc. etc. As long as it's voluntary, its ok. But how voluntary is voluntary, good question. Yet, how much freedom should someone have who does not take the responsibility with it? Though they might regret it later, at least greater harm was prevented, that is less kids are born with the consequences of the irresponsibility of their parents. But then, alot of kids are fucked up by non-drugaddicts too. Where's the line drawn? As you say, it doesn't fix the real problem. Though it temporarily fixes a resulting problem.
I guess I am not sure what I think. I am inclined to support her project, but hesitate, it's too questionable.