28 May 2009

What happened to "this master's is easy, I barely feel like I'm studying"?

So, I am done with exams. Forever. Unless I study again some day. But forever for now.
You'd think I'd be relieved. But apparently I am still stressed. Maybe that's got something to do with the unfinished experiment for one class, with it's corresponding unfinished paper, both due next week; the yet-to-be-started research proposal for another class on a topic that I have very little understanding about; the experiment for my thesis project that is still in the setup-up stage and we have two weeks (if I want to stay on schedule) to get started and find another 29 participants (yay for friends who want to help!) and finish collecting data, then the results and thesis and review which I am starting to think won't be happening till sometime this fall; and then of course the internship that will be starting midsummer. Pff. So much for done. I think I prefer exams. At least I feel more in control and capable. For half of this stuff I feel so incredibly incompetent that the only thing that keeps me going is that I simply have to get through this so I will no matter how bad I am at it. I thought a masters was supposed to prepare me for the real world. This one has mainly succeeded in revealing further to me just how unprepared I am. Or maybe it's the real world that I'll be good at, it's just this academic/research stuff that I'm not so hot at.
Oh, and on top of this all, we are looking for houses. To buy. Leiden or Gouda, for those of you who are interested. Something close to the station. With a backyard, in the sun. And enough space to stay there for a few years (read: babies). It's perfectly normal to find this a bit of a scary process, right?

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

oh whoa houses are SCARY!!!! yes, that's normal. and if it makes you feel better, i dread school. i know i'm gonna have to go back at some point and the thought makes my knees tremble...but you will pull through! :)

Dane said...

babies? . . .

I thought that was a 5 year off thing!

Amanda said...

sure, but buying a house is a min 5 yr commitment. the possibility of needing more room is real...

Mela said...

hmmm. nesting stage?

Reido Bandito said...

thats a lot of stuff! I'm in a MA for dummies program....and very happy about that.

what is your hypothesis?

Dena said...

My head hurts a little after reading your "To Do" list. Not really something you can just tack up on the fridge I guess... "Buy House", "Have Babies", isn't really the same as "Buy milk" and "Call the plumber." Hope things start getting checked off soon! (Though perhaps the thesis before the babies).

Amanda said...

haha! "babies" is not on the to-do list. more like the "just-in-case" factor to keep in mind when looking for a house we will live in for 5+ yrs...