20 October 2008

Don't forget to vote.

I filled out my absentee ballot today. I think I might be late. Why doesn't Iowa have an online option for procrastinators?

Frankly, I am so sick of this year's political mess that I really don't even feel like voting. Maybe I subconsciously delayed my application for absentee voting so I would have an excuse not to vote. I am an irresponsible citizen. But seriously, what a circus. When did American elections get so crazy? Do candidates/parties in other countries spend billions on making a big show of self-proclamation and the defamation of the opposition? It makes me nauseous. I was actually excited to see Obama as a candidate. That excitement has turned hard and dark, like something cooked too long and too hot. The only thing motivating me at the moment to vote is the slight possibility of Palin becoming President. What an embarrassing disaster that would be.

If it's not too late, I will do my duty. And then, I hope never to hear the words "maverick", "change", "Obamarama", or "McLame" ever again. And if people even start thinking about the elections again before Jan 2012, I will sew little Canadian flags to all my bags and jackets and start saying "eh?" in every other sentence.

5 comments:

Mela said...

hehehe (that's like eh backwards a bunch of times!)

Dane said...

you'll be lucky if you can speak coherent english by 2012!

Cassie and Kevin Zonnefeld said...

I believe the biggest problem with this years elections--something that made it more of a problem than usual--was that the primaries/caucuses were moved up several months in many states. Because of this much hoopla has been going on for over 2 years instead of the standard 18 months.

Amanda said...

you know, 18months is a really huge chunk out of 4yrs... what a strange set up. the guy has still got a year and a half to go and people are already rushing up to take his place. (granted, with some presidents this is admittedly more acceptable than with others). but seriously... 18 fricken months? whats wrong with just a half a year? do we really need that much time to pick a new leader?

Melanie said...

half a year, meh, how bout a couple of months. all the money they spend could be put to better use, eh?